Friday, March 2, 2012

Post-NYSC Interview

Hello darlings!

It's Friday and I'm singing "Cheers to the freaking weekend!" I had to go to my NYSC Local Government this morning for monthly clearance (this is where your company sends a letter to NYSC saying that you showed up to work consistently for the month, and NYSC pays you your allowance aka allawi). I just have to say that dealing with NYSC offices can make a person go insane! I'm just counting down the number of times I have to do this - 3 down, 9 to go... pray for my sanity, people!

So one of my friends from Batch A, 2011 just passed out - congrats to everyone who got their certificates! He's such a darling, and granted my request for an interview... I just wanted to get and share his experience and thoughts with you guys. Have fun reading...


Berry: State your aje-butter credentials according to Berry's definition. (See definition here: Calling All Aje-butters post)

Boss: All of the above


Berry: How would you summarize your NYSC experience from start to finish?

Boss: It was an exciting and intriguing experience. I met a lot of new people and made new friends from different parts of the country. The 3 weeks spent in camp was fun and entertaining, but for the most part it was stressful and knackering.


Berry: What, if anything, did you learn during your NYSC year? Personally or career-wise?

Boss: I learnt a lot about road safety which was what I did as my CD (Community Development). It has actually helped to make me a better and safer driver.


Berry: What are your personal views on the relevance of NYSC in Nigeria currently?

Boss: The NYSC programme was designed to encourage the youths of Nigeria to go out of their comfort zone or their indigenous states so that they could experience the lifestyle of other people in different environments. It was also designed with the aim of integrating youths of different backgrounds, ethnicity, religion and social class.


Berry: Why did you decide to go through the NYSC program?

Boss: I was encouraged by my parents and family members to go through NYSC so I could become a "full citizen" of Nigeria.


Berry: What was your experience like in camp? Favorite/worst memories?

Boss:

  • Favourite experiences in camp: meeting new peeps, taking part in different activities, becoming runner-up in the Macho-Man/Sexiest Man Alive competition, coaching our platoon football team all the way to winning the camp football trophy
  • Worst experiences: living in a small space with 17 other boys, all that marching under the hot sun, waking up at 4am, not being allowed to go to the girls hostel, crappy meals, no toilets, not enough time to sleep, not enough time to pimp hoes... etc

Berry: What would you change about/in the NYSC program?

Boss: I would change a few things. For instance, I would like a situation where the location of service is optional. I think applications should be done online. The NYSC camp kit (uniform) should be designed to suit each corper's needs. And more security and accommodation for the serving corpers.


Berry: What CD group did you join, and was the experience worthwhile?

Boss: Road Safety and yes, my experience was worthwhile.


Berry: Do you have any advice for incoming aje-butter corpers?

Boss: My advice to the incoming corpers, whether aje-butter or not, is to make the best out of the experience and try to participate in as many activities as possible.


Berry: Now that you're done with NYSC, what are your plans?

Boss: My post NYSC plan is to continue my journey of becoming the biggest BOSS the world has ever seen.

*end of interview*



As you can see, my friend is a bit of a joker. And you see where 'Boss' came from. I didn't know he participated in the camp pageant... although he IS kinda hawt (actually he's REALLY HAWT and has one of the nicest voices EVER!). His quip about not having enough time to pimp hoes has given me an idea for a new post!!!!!

Have a pretty weekend :)
Berry hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment