Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Back to Lagos Camp...

Hey Berryboos,

Sooooo, first of all, thank God I completed my Final Clearance last week Wednesday. A friend of mine started hers on Friday and finished on Saturday. But that's not as bad as another friend who started on Friday and finished on Monday - his file was missing :-o

Anyways, you know how the NYSC Passing Out Circular said we all had to be excused from work to go back to our camps for different activities - Job Awareness Seminar and Passing Out Parade rehearsals? Well, like I said earlier, NYSC says it's mandatory to attend these things, while some of my 2012 Batch B corper friends said they got their certificates without attending anything. Just to be on the safe side, my friends and I decided to go and at least sign the attendance sheet, if nothing else. We spent 1 hour going to Iyana-Ipaja (NYSC Lagos Camp), 1 hour there (luckily we got the attendance sheet before it started being passed around - yours truly was first to sign it :-D), and 2 hours going back to the island. I'm not going back for any silly rehearsals - I'm not marching, so what the heck do they need me for?

Being back in Iyana-Ipaja was SURREAL! I can't believe I spent 3 whole weeks in that environment - like what the heck was I thinking??? Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'm not entirely sure I'd stay in camp the whole time... Although my goody-two-shoes nature would have stopped me from scheming to leave. Ah well, I did it, it's in the past, the whole journey's almost over.

LOL, while I ironed my khakis yesterday, I was literally grumbling to myself that after October 18th, 2012, I will TEAR THIS PIECE OF CRAP TO SHREDS!!!!!!!!!! As much as I complained about the poor quality of the uniforms given to us, I must admit that the trousers held up quite well. I've worn the same pair once a week for almost one full year - and no tears, no holes, no nothing. Obviously, I bought my own white t-shirts, cos theirs was beyond horrible. Maybe I'll donate what I don't want to charity... But would anyone really want to wear the sneakers and boots randomly?

I'm beginning to feel the pangs of withdrawal now. For one year, my whole life has been NYSC-focused. Now it's almost over and I have no clear path as of this moment. I need something else to keep me busy, and so far, no likely job prospects. I definitely do not want to be retained, because I did NOTHING at all in my department at work and I'll go crazy if I stay. Maybe I'll see if I can come back through another department? Or maybe I WILL go back to Atlanta for a year or two, but still keep my eyes open for other opportunities in Nigeria.

I've given myself 2 months to play, in the meantime. So November/December will be for me to laze about, watch as much TV as I want, travel (GHANA, ENGLAND, and TANZANIA are on my current destination wishlist).

HEY! What happens to this blog after I'm done??? I need ideas and suggestions. Does a new 2012 Batch C corper want to share his/her stories on here? I know I've enjoyed blogging, and would want to continue, but I need a new sustainable angle. NO to Fashion, Hair, News blogging! Maybe Travel - Berry's Adventures? Or an advice column - Dear Berry? Or if somebody proposes and I accept, a wedding blog - Berry Getting Married?

Ah, I dunno. Gotta go get some work done.

Revlon Blackberry lipstick kisses to you! (lol, even my lipstick shade has Berry in it - Choiiiiiiiiii, I'm too good - ok, that was very razz of me :p)

Berry

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been reading through your posts and they're very well written. I'm currently working on an online magazine focused on Nigeria and would like to send you some additional details on perhaps becoming a freelance writer. Is there an email address I could reach you on?

    Regards,
    Ozi/Lagos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much. Use bonitakw@hotmail.com for now, as it's the most anonymous of my emails. When I hear from you there, I'll send you my proper email addy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, have sent details to your email.

      Ozi/Lagos

      Delete
  2. Great blog! Just found out about it and have spent the last couple hours reading back until your December post. Its almost over, thank God! Have you decided.. 'What next?'

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooooooooooo. I think I'll know for sure by December. It's time to fast and pray for direction cos I'm lost

      Delete
  3. Hi berry, have been following your blog for a while since I clicked on the link you posted on bella naija a while ago. Great blog you got here dear. Am also a lagos batch C corper but not an ajebutter like you. Thank goodness the whole Nysc ish is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ not an aje-butter like me. We're all one and the same :)

      As in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SICK and TIRED of the whole thing. I saw a picture yesterday - someone neatly stacked their kit/uniform and put a FOR SALE sign :p

      Congratulations to you too! Thursday it's over and done with!

      Delete