Thursday, February 21, 2013

So I passed out of NYSC - Miss T.D's Post-NYSC Interview

Hiya Berryboos!

How are ya? I hope you're having a pretty week. Can I just say "Thank God tomorrow's Friday?!" I can't wait for the weekend to come so I can rest (yeah right). Have y'all been checking out my other blog??? You have? Good boys and girls! *gasp* You haven't??? Go to the naughty corner now! If you are not reading Berry Dakara's Blog, YOU ARE WRONG! (lol, I had to throw in Corper language).

Ok, enough playing around. 2012 Batch A Corpers just passed out within the past week or two - A HEARTY CONGRATS from me! And as usual, I got someone from that batch to answer my interview questions. Without further ado, I present Miss T.D.




  1. State your aje-butter credentials, according to Berry’s definition. (See my definition here: http://ajebutternysc.blogspot.com/2011/12/calling-all-aje-butters.html)

    I'd fit into category a seeing as I left Nigeria at the age of 10 and only moved back at 23. Only visited like 3 times in that period.
  2. How would you summarize your NYSC experience from start to finish?

    My experience was interesting to say the least. I saw things I had never seen before and never want to see again. I met people that gave me the opportunity to drive to areas I never knew existed (Abule Egba). It had its ups and downs, laughs and tears but all in all, INTERESTING.
  3. What, if anything, did you learn during your NYSC year? Personally and career-wise?

    Personally and career wise i Learned that perseverance really takes you a LONG way. There were only 3 foreign students in my local govt and I was under the scrutiny of the supervisors and what not, but no matter what they said or did to me I still carried on and didn't bribe anyone. (KUDOS TO YOU!)
  4. What are your personal views on the relevance of NYSC in Nigeria currently?

    Personally SCRAP IT. Apart from learning about another state (Ogun) it didn't significantly affect me.
  5. Why did you decide to go through NYSC?

    I had no choice but to go through NYSC. My dad believes it is our duty to serve and get the opportunities Nigeria has to offer.
  6. What was your experience like in camp? Favorite/worst memories?

    Favorite moment- playing Volleyball/ dancing at Mami Market.
    Worst moment- Asthma Attack that required a drip and me getting kicked out of camp (not that I'm complaining) AND sanitary conditions of the bathrooms, LOL.

  7. What would you change in the NYSC program?

    I'd revamp the objectives of NYSC maybe make it a full military year of service. (Excuse me? Someone's a joker *raised eyebrow*)
  8. What CD group did you join, and was the experience worthwhile?

    Cultural CD. Unfortunately the money the FG gave to us was signed out but never received by our local govt so we weren't able to carry out any project. So I suggested we do a competition, splitting the group up into Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo sub-groups, giving everyone the option to join any group regardless of your ethnicity. We had debates, quizzes, sports day and at Batch A's send off, we announced the result of the competition. This really helped keep attendance up. It was GREAT!

    PS - I'd say it was worthwhile since I got an award, LOL.
    (NICE, Congratulations!)
  9. Do you have any advice for incoming aje-butter corpers?

    Incoming Ajebutters... NYSC is not for the faint of hearts. PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE... Just get into Zen mode because nothing ever goes according to time/schedule. You will line up for hours, share some nasty words with rude people, say 'Sir' and 'Ma' every time you address someone of significance. So throw your accent out of the door once you are in your khakis, and get dirty with everyone if you want to make it out alive and as quickly as possible.
  10. What are your plans post-NYSC?

    Long-term: Work for a year or so then back to grad school. Right now: SLEEP well, and scrub my face and feet!
BONUS QUESTION: What are you going to do with your uniform?Well I won't lie I already cut the shirt to keep the NYSC sign. The pants have disappeared. :))))))

And there we have it! While she says NYSC should be scrapped, it looks like she had fun and enjoyed herself. Like I say in my responses, just make the best of your NYSC year. It WILL be frustrating, you'll curse the existence of NYSC and wonder why anybody hates you enough to tell you to go through the program. But it IS an experience. 

Thanks lady for answering my questions. Ladies and gentlemen, this chick answered my interview questions in RECORD TIME! I wish you the very best!

Until next time, HUGS, KISSES, HIGH-FIVES, WINKS and more from moi!
Berry :)

2 comments: